Just An Update


Hello, it's been a while since I last posted on here, but to be honest, I haven't been doing much for this project, besides brainstorming. My next big task is to create the storyboard, but I wasn't feeling very creative this week. It was quite a busy week with SAT's coming up and having to prep for an important exam like this takes time. Therefore, I came to provide an update of where I'm at in the process of creating the film opening.

In the last post, I was pretty certain in which direction I wanted to take my ideas for the opening. However, just yesterday, our class viewed an excellent example of a film opening made by a student. The story created a sense of inclusivity, meaning you felt as if you were there and viewing from an insider's perspective. The film opening starred a young girl, known as a "groupie" getting ready to go out with the bass player of the band. The reason I thought this film opening was amazing was because it genuinely felt like the beginning of a film. The opening successfully captured the interest of the entire class, and left us wanting to know more, even though it was in a genre that not everyone in this class would typically watch. This made me really think about my idea. I know I have a good idea and I hope to properly execute it, however how much of my idea could I really include in a 2 minute film opening? And where would I be leaving room for the rest of the story?

I think the biggest part I failed to consider was that I'm only creating the first few minutes of the film, therefore I can't give some long story. It has to be just enough detail in which the audience is intrigued but not so much that the audience knows the whole plot from the start and then loses interest. These thoughts slowly led to doubts in my original idea.

Then just this morning, I shared the idea with a friend and his reaction when I told him the full story was perfect. He loved the idea and thought it'd be a challenge for me to create but nevertheless it would be possible. This worked only to motivate me to make my idea come to life.

As I was brainstorming I came up with two different ideas for the progression of my film opening. The first would be a normal progression in which the opening scene is the man waking up in the middle of a field, and he slowly begins to figure out how he has gotten to this position.

Meanwhile the second idea was placing the character in the climax of the film, and just before something big is revealed, the film flashes back to the beginning in order to explain how the character got to that point.

I think I'll end up going with the second option, however I believe this one may be a bit more difficult to execute and it could confuse the audience with the time jump. Therefore, if I do end up choosing this, I need to work hard to make the story clear. By tomorrow, my choice should be revealed in the storyboard I create.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...