Episode vs Extract

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what to include in the extract. My plan for this docu-series was to feature a new athlete and their story in each episode, and Josh would be the focus of the episode. However, I'm not producing an entire episode, only an extract of it. This is extremely important to keep in mind because it leads to the choice of picking only specific parts of his story to tell while making it clear what the episodic documentary would be about. 

I created this concept make to demonstrate my thought process:


Having to select only certain parts seemed like a difficult decision to make as I had so much to choose from like the start of his baseball career as a kid playing tee ball, or his high school baseball career, or even how he went to college to play baseball for a great Florida school. I kept putting off this decision until I thought about it today and come up with some kind of resolution. 

I've opted to focus on the injury that ended his baseball career, but instead of demonstrating the negative side, I want to show what he got from his career as a baseball player. I could include montage footage, as he reminisces on his past. I even thought of using a fade in and out while editing to make it like memories that come and go. Although many people may see this as a tough time, Josh optimistically found other opportunities that came from this situation and that's what I hope to portray in the extract. 

Having this part decided, I can start working on a shot list as well as planning for interviews so I can begin filming and stay on schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...