Inspired by YouTube

I went on Youtube today looking for inspiration on the types of shots I could use as I begin to create my shot list and I stumbled upon a mini documentary about Zion Williamson, an American professional basketball player who rose to fame after becoming the NBA draft's pick one. Here's the link if you'd like to check the video out: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoH636CmQY)

The documentary focuses on telling the story of his athletic life. From the start of the doc, I knew I'd like it as it began with an aerial shot of a basketball court with him practicing then to a short montage of his best dunks, transitioning to him now. These moments show a few highlights of his career and serve as a great opening for the documentary.  


This is one of the first shots we see, clearly shot on a drone as the camera begins to move further upward. This establishing shot introduces the character and the plot of the film: basketball as we see him moving around on a small basketball court. 

This shot is something similar to what I had in mind for the establishing shot, however I don't have a drone. Although I could ask around to see if I have a friend that has one, I don't want to count on this and then have to come up with something last minute. So here is my backup plan: I can stand far away from the baseball field on any corner and have a shot where I show him hitting the baseball. With music and him hitting the baseball on beat, I think this could make for a strong establishing shot. 

What follows is a compilation of his many dunks with a voiceover from his coach. although I really like this concept I don't think either aspect will be achievable. Unless I can obtain archival footage of Josh's best plays, then I don't see this montage happening. However, this doesn't mean I can't put my own spin on it. When I come up with ideas for this I will share them as I currently have something in mind but nothing definitive. 


Lastly, this got me thinking about the audio components of the documentary which still need to be figured out, but for now, I'll start looking into music options as well as deciding upon the inclusion of a voiceover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...