Here we Go!

I start filming tomorrow! It's crazy when I realize how quickly I got to this point, but I feel more than prepared. Josh had a quick trip to Orlando over the weekend, leaving us having to push back the filming date, but also giving me extra time to get organized. So, I wanted to share a bit on the equipment I'd use to film. 

First, I'll be using my personal Canon camera for all the filming. I try not two switch between my phone and camera because of the change in quality, however if it does seem necessary at some point, I will use my phone. I chose to go with this camera mainly because of the quality and I want to portray this level of sophistication especially in the interviews as we cover serious moments of someone's life. 

Then I was thinking about the audio component. In interviews, mics are often used to improve the sound quality. However, I don't own one. Tomorrow I won't be filming interviews, but I will do a test with my phone mic to see if that is enough. 



In past projects, the microphone on the camera has been enough to capture sound, but if it proves to work, I can easily order a microphone off of Amazon and have it quickly. 

This is the microphone I've been looking at. I think it's important to have it as a plan B since I don't have much time left to be re-filming if the audio doesn't sound well. 



Lastly, I'll use my tripod for stability, mainly in the interview shots and can even be used to capture different angles during the interview which I've seen other documentaries make use of. I believe this will allow a deeper look at the interviewee such as their gestures, and also take away this feeling of the talking head that can get repetitive and boring. 

Although tomorrow will only be a day of capturing B-roll footage, I'm still excited to begin filming. I will be back with updates on how it went as the piece begins to come together and I start recording interviews! One last thing I'll be using that I didn't mention, a mask!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...