The Documentary Genre

Documentaries are non-fiction films that are aimed towards documenting reality like specific events, ideas, or topics. They typically inform or educate viewers, and can also maintain historical records. From my research, some genre conventions I've found include:

Archival footage and photographs 


As I've previously mentioned, I was hoping to include archival footage if Josh's parents can find it because I know it will follow a major documentary convention as most documentaries include archival materials include old photographs, and newsreel footage to create this sense of truth and reality. 





Talking heads 
Talking heads are people interviewed to explain or comment on the documentaries' subject. These people usually are shown in their offices or in their homes, any atmosphere that matches the theme of the piece. 



In these three different occasions, we see pretty much the same angle as the interviewee is facing someone else, but the audience is aware the information being given is directed at them. 


Handheld cameras 


Now this is noticeable as footage comes out shaky, or simply not as stable as if the camera were mounted on a tripod. With time, more portable cameras have been made available to filmmakers, allowing them to do more on-location shooting, and keeping the camera steady was somewhat difficult when it comes to following the action. The wobbly camera creates this documentary-like sense for viewers. 


Voiceover Narration 
Voiceover narration occurs when we hear the voice speak but we cannot see the speaker utter the words. The voice often explains or comments on the visuals, enabling the narrator to guide the viewer through the piece. 

Re-enactments
A re-enactment stages real events that already have occurred. Sometimes they include the people who experienced the events originally, but more often they incorporate actors playing parts. Most documentary filmmakers shoot events where they actually occur. These re-enactments can at times be a bit exaggerated. 

Also, 
    - Intercutting / Parallel Editing linking key scenes
    - Selective editing crucial to constructing meaning
    - Often single stranded making one subject the topic of the media text

As I plan my doc episode and what I want to include, I've also thought about what conventions I'll follow and which I'll challenge or not make use of. I hope to include interviews, or this "talking-head", archival footage or photographs, and definitely create this personal sense through the use of a handheld camera at times. However, something I've been on the fence about is whether I'd like to include a voiceover or not. I believe it could help the doc, but there are many other questions that come with this like who's voice will it be or will it tell the entire story. These are all things I must consider when making the decision. 

Lastly, there are re-enactments which I will try to stay away from. This year we viewed a documentary on Netflix, The Social Dilemma (2020), which has some fictional aspects but is mostly non-fiction as it aims to warn viewers of the dangers of social media and the addiction to technology. However the dramatic re-enactments took away from the serious parts of the film and I do not want the same to happen with my documentary as I tell the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...