The Interview

Filming the interviews were probably my favorite part of this project as we laughed a lot throughout this process. I had ran into a couple problems at the beginning with figuring out lighting and exactly where I wanted Josh to be interviewed. I've discussed in a previous blog post that the background of the interview is important as it can set the scene. It can also provide some insight on the the interviewee. 

I began to look around his house for different filming spots, some places including his home office or dining area, but I ultimately decided upon filming in his living room. I wanted to make the interview a bit more personal and his office seemed too formal. Mostly, I wanted Josh to feel comfortable and free to share his feelings in the responses. Here's a behind the scenes of the set-up. 

It was cool to find items around the house that improved the quality of the interview. For example, I do not own a ring-light but he did have this lamp that had bendy arms. We used this to create better lighting, bringing the focus to the interviewee. Now here's an image of what the interview looked like: 



Before filming this interview, I looked up some interview examples and found that a majority placed their subject within the right third of the screen, so I decided to utilize this same technique because I really liked how it looked. The lighting works very well although there is a shadow behind him, we had no other light source to provide as backlight and I also made the mistake of placing him by a wall. Nevertheless, I don't think this is a huge problem as the interview still looks really good and the content is great. This sums up part two of the filming process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...