Looking Back

Looking back, this has been a great experience, like I knew it would be. I truly enjoy bringing my ideas to life in the form of film and even print media. I remained excited throughout the entirety of this project because I constantly got to try new things. In the past, I've had the opportunity to interview children, but I've never had a serious interview with an adult. I've already shared how nerve-wracking this experience was, but nevertheless I learned so much and found excitement in being able to do this for my documentary. An obstacle I encountered during the interview process was definitely the lighting and a small error in the way the interviewee looked. Since I didn't have a ring light, I had to make do with a lamp and simply point it in the direction of the interviewee, but this caused a shadow behind the interviewee that I didn't realize was so visible in the footage. Although this isn't a major problem, I think a change in setting or better planning would have resolved this issue. Another problem I ran into that I didn't notice until I began viewing the footage form my laptop was that the direction Josh was looking at in the interviews was to the right rather than to the left. Since I placed him in the right third of the screen I believe it would've been better for him to look to the left of me. I did ask him beforehand to look in a certain direction because I didn't want him staring at the camera, but this was an error on my end. I've thought about this frequently, but I think the only way to resolve an issue like this would've been to view the footage before continuing the interviews. Even though we did one test, it wasn't long enough for me to realize the little problem. This may be something only I notice, but I did learn from it. 

Another new major thing I got to try was creating the magazine article. I've mentioned before, I had no idea what I would do for this but after I meeting with my teacher, I began thinking of a bunch of different concepts I could use in the article. It was also a much shorter process than what I thought. I believe I spent the most time figuring out the layout of the article rather than writing it. It was an aspect of this project that I definitely didn't think I'd enjoy, but to my surprise, I did.

Lastly, there's the social media page, the final component of this project that I worked on. I ran into one of the biggest obstacles here. After mentioning the idea of using sports highlights to my Media Studies teacher, she informed me that I wouldn't be able to publish this content because it wasn't mine. Although my goal was to engage the target audience, and this would be a great way to do so, I simply couldn't. Instead I'd have to focus on promoting my content, the doc through different means. I began thinking of what other content I could publish, and this is where the backups came in. I started to put everything together and figure out a good order in which to post it. I learned from a marketing class that I when advertising and trying to build interest I should always use tactics that catch the attention of the viewer and maintains it. This my main objective that I hoped to achieve. I still have some posts left to make. 

Other than this, everything went smoothly and although I learned plenty of things, I wanted to share a few of the major problems I encountered and how I went about solving them or how I would resolve these issues in future projects. 

I do have a few minor components to complete, however everything will be done by tomorrow and posted! I can't wait! Stay tuned for the CCR as well in which I further reflect on and analyze the creation of this project and what went into it, including my research, the branding, and representation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...