Meeting with My Teacher

Yesterday I had an early video conference call with my Media Studies teacher to ask a couple questions I had about a specific component of this project, the magazine article. She had shared with us a few examples of students who created great articles and I was surprised at how different they were from each other. At first, I had only viewed one which served as a review or reflection of the process of creating their documentary, but what shocked me a bit was that it was published on the NY Times website. I knew I'd be creating a high quality article, but ending up on the NY Times was extremely impressive to me, and honestly it made me nervous. 

During the meeting, my teacher recommended that I check out the other articles as well. One was a director interview while the other was a behind the scenes. I really had no idea what was expected of my magazine article, only that it should be used for promotional purposes, but after the meeting I realized I was basically given creative freedom to whatever aspect I wanted to about the doc extract as long as I was marketing it to others, mainly my target audience. 

I've been thinking a lot about what my article would entail, but I'm stuck between two options, the first being a behind the scenes look at the creation of the extract or a director interview. Something I really like about the director interview is that it's more personal and the questions can be designed to market the piece, however I also like the behind the scenes articles because it's exciting to get this inside look at how films are made. I think what I must consider is what would appeal more to the target audience, and I'm leaning towards the behind the scenes. I'll research this before coming to a decision. 

(Different templates available on Canva)

One last thing I wanted to share is that I will be using Canva, a graphic design platform to create the article as it was a bunch of presets to inspire you or that you can even directly type into. Often, seeing different options gets me thinking about what I could create so I'll most likely end up customizing my own spread. More on this soon! Time to get to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BECOMING: JOSH CHESTER" Creative Critical Reflection

The documentary series “BECOMING:” features the story of a different athlete in each episode. The first episode of the series, “BECOMING: Jo...